Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Module II - Pattern, Tone and Proportion - Chapters I and II


Module Two -dubbed 'Animal Magic' is all about tonal studies with animal markings as the starting point. All work will be in black and white. Click images to enlarge.



As a preliminary task I collected visual information on animal markings and made the collage above for my sketch book.

Chapter I

Focusing on the study of tone.












I produced a series of tonal columns on paper using different media.


Chapter II

Further work on tone.




A tonal column in stitchery using a counted thread stitch (cross stitch) in black and white threads on canvas.


And next a series of columns showing tonal effects using the technique of Blackwork, a traditional counted thread work, popular in the Elizabethan period in Britain.





Two samples using pattern development to create a darker tone.



This uses spacing of stitches to control the tone.



This uses different thicknesses of threads to create a darker tone.

2 comments:

  1. One question - where do you find the time?
    This looks really interesting Caroline, right up my street. I shall visit regularly to see how you are getting on and what beautiful works you are producing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you and your Brother will have many hours of creativity together. You have much more patience than I do.

    ReplyDelete